We are wired to feast and famine not feast,feast,feast.
If we focus on just fixing the symptoms, we are wasting our time and energy. Instead, we should shift our focus from fixing symptoms to finding a root cause and fixing that instead. And although finding the root cause may require courage and persistence, it is the only true way of fixing the problems you are facing for good.
People have the dream but not the drive.
What diabetes is and is it reversible?
Fact # 1
Indubitably it is! It is reversible and preventable under certain conditions depending upon a person’s lifestyle.Type 2 diabetes is your dietary disease and you can’t fix it by using drugs.Medications alone do not reverse it. If a person does not make healthy lifestyle changes, it persist, and eventually will need more medication to manage it.
Imagine your body as a big sugar bowl. At birth,the bowl is empty.Over several decades ,you eat sugar and refined carbohydrates and the bowl gradually fills up.When you next eat,sugar comes in and spills over the sides of the bowl because the bowl is already full.
The same situation exists in your body.When you eat sugar,your body secretes the hormone insulin to help move the sugar into your cells,where its used for energy. If you don’t burn off that sugar sufficiently,then over decades your cells become completely filled and cannot handle any more. The next time you eat sugar,insulin cannot force any more of it into your overflowing cells,so it spills out into the blood. Sugar travels in your blood in a form of glucose ,and having too much of it-known as high blood glucose – is a primary symptom of type 2 diabetes.
In response to excess glucose in the blood,the body secretes even more insulin to overcome this over flood of glucose. This forces more glucose into the overflowing cells to keep blood levels normal. This works ,but the effect is only temporary because it has not addressed the problem of excess sugar,it has only moved the excess from the blood to the cells,making insulin resistance worse. At some point,even with more insulin,the body cannot force any more glucose into the cells.
Lets think about packing a suitcase.
At first the clothes go into the empty suitcase without any trouble. Once the suitcase is full ,however ,it difficult to jam in those last two T-shirts.You could say the luggage appears to be resisting the clothes. This is similar to the overflow phenomenon we see in our cells.
Once that suitcase is full,you might simply use more force to shove those last T shirts in .This strategy will only work temporarily,because you have not addressed the underlying problem of the overfilled suitcase. As you force more shirts into the suitcase,the problem-lets call it luggage resistance -only become worse. The better solution is to remove some of the clothes from the suitcase.
Your doctor may prescribe a medication such as insulin injections or perhaps a drug called metformin,to lower blood glucose,but these drugs do not rid the body of excess glucose.Instead ,they simply continue to take the glucose out of the blood and ram it back into body. It then gets shipped out to the heart,where it can eventually create other problems. The underlying problem is unchanged.
Remember the bowl that overflowing with sugar? It still is.Insulin has simply moved the glucose from the blood ,where you could see it,into the body ,where you cannot.
At first,you need only a single medication,but eventually it becomes two and then three,and the doses become larger.And if you are taking more and more medications to keep your blood glucose at the same level,your diabetes is actually getting worse.
Conventional diabetes treatments: How to make the problems worse.
The blood glucose got better with the insulin,but the diabetes got worse. Here’s is an analogy.Consider that hiding garbage under your bed instead of discarding it allows you to pretend that your house is clean. When there’s no more room under the bed,you can throw the garbage into the closet.In fact,you can hide it anywhere you can;t see it; in the basement,in the attic,even in bathroom. But if you keep hiding your garbage ,eventually it’s going to begin to smell really,really bad because it’s starting to rot. Instead of hiding it,you need to throw it out.
Get rid of it! But the standard treatment for type 2 diabetes follows the same flawed logic of hiding the glucose instead of eliminating it.
Type 2 diabetes affect every organ in the body.What happens when excessive glucose piles up in the body over ten or twenty years? Every cell in the body starts to rot,which is precisely why type 2 diabetes affect every single organ. Your eyes rot,and you go blind.Your kidneys rot,and you need dialysis.Your heart rots and you get heart attacks and heart failure. Your brain rots ,and you get Alzheimer’s disease. Your liver rots, and you get fatty liver disease and cirrhosis. Your legs rot,and you get diabetic foot ulcers.Your nerves rot ,and you get diabetic neuropathy. No part of your body is spared.
Type 2 diabetes is reversible and preventable without medications. Once we understand that type 2 diabetes is simply too much sugar in the body,the solution is obvious. Get rid of the sugar.Don’t hide it away. There are only two ways to accomplish this:
- Put less sugar in.
- Burn off remaining sugar.
That’s all we need to do. It’s all natural and completely free. No surgery ,no cost!
Effects of raised insulin levels
- It causes water and salt retention(Edema), which causes raised blood pressure
- You become at risk of atherosclerosis (“furring of arteries”), which can lead to heart attacks
- Raised insulin levels increases VLDL (very low density lipoprotein), a type of blood fat and one of the “bad” forms of cholesterol
- Can drive the growth of certain cancer cells
- In women, it can cause the ovaries to produce more testosterone, which is associated with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
- Significantly increases your risk of getting type 2 diabetes
If I has a flood in my house…. I would not spend day after day,week after week,&year after year buying buckets,mops and towels.I would not be inventing different types of buckets and more expensive mops or drainage systems to ensure the water drained away quickly.I would find systems to ensure the water drained away quickly. I would find the source of the water and turn it off!!Dr Verner Wheelock
The only way to effectively reverse type 2 diabetes (or even pre-diabetes) is to deal with the underlying cause – Insulin Resistance. Trying to address the blood sugar levels (with medication) without addressing the insulin levels is treating the symptoms, not treating the root cause. It is similar to using a bucket to remove water from an overflowing sink rather than actually turning off the tap!
The most important thing to do is to stop adding fuel to the fire. If Insulin Resistance is driving the condition, you need to firstly stop consuming foods that increase insulin production. Secondly, you need to make some lifestyle changes so that you can become sensitive to insulin once again.
There is no one perfect diet for everyone. Different people respond to different diets.
THREE RULES FOR REVERSING TYPE 2 DIABETES:
The most important rule,without exception is to eliminate all added sugars from your diet. Insulin resistance is the result of fatty liver becoming overfilled and unable to accept more glucose.The most important determinant of fatty liver is not just carbohydrates,but the fructose.
What about fruit? The truth is there is no chemical difference between the fructose contained naturally in fruit and the fructose contained within sucrose( table sugar). The dose makes the poison.Best advice is to avoid eating excessive amounts of fruit,especially as many modern varieties are now available year round and have been bred to be sweeter than in the past. Dried fruits are usually high in sugar.
Rule#2 Reduce refined carbohydrates and enjoy natural fats
- Avoid ALL refined carbohydrates. That means no pasta, rice or bread (even wholegrain bread will spike your insulin)
- Avoid ALL added sugar. If your body is already in a state where you cannot process carbohydrates and sugars properly, you are going to have to take steps to fully eliminate all sugars, at least in the short term.
- Avoid ALL sweet drinks. It is best to stick to water, tea, coffee.
- You should maintain a moderate,not high ,intake of protein. Adequate protein is required for good health,but excess cannot be stored in the body and so the liver converts them into glucose. Therefore,eating too much protein adds sugar to the body.
- Do not be scared of good quality, healthy, natural fat – avocados, olives, almonds etc. Don’t worry about this causing you to put on weight. A study published in 2003 showed that people who supplemented their diet with almonds lost more weight than those who supplemented with so-called “healthy, complex carbs” Eggs are an excellent choice.
- The industrially processed,highly refined seed oils that are high in omega-6 fat are not recommended because they can cause inflammation and adversely affect human health. These oils include sunflower,corn,canola,safflower,and vegetable oils. Do not use these vegetable oils at high heat because they release harmful chemicals called aldehydes when heated.
- Do not waste your energy counting calories. Concentrate on the quality of the food that you are eating and the calorie control will take care of itself.
Rule#3 Eat real food
- FEED YOUR GUT BUGS, not just yourself. There are trillions of bugs that live in your gut – their health is critical in determining your health. Start improving the health of your gut immediately by eating five servings of different coloured vegetables each day. The non digestible fibre in vegetables is the preferred food for your gut bacteria and when your gut bugs are happy, you will be happy. The wider the variety of colours, the more phytonutrients you will be getting.
- If you like to snack, keep some high fat healthy snacks with you, such as olives, nuts or hummus. When you snack on refined carbohydrates such as biscuits, you go on a blood sugar roller coaster that results in you feeling hungry shortly after. Fats, on the other hand, will keep you fuller for longer.
- Include high quality protein and fat with EVERY single meal. This helps to stabilize your blood sugars and promotes satiety and fullness, making it less likely that you will want to reach for dessert after your meal.
- Eat your meals sitting down at a table and before 6.00 pm. Better to skip dinner if you are not very active. Eating on the sofa while watching TV encourages a mindless form of eating – this can lead you to eat higher quantities than you otherwise would. If you sit at a table and concentrate on what you’re eating, you are more likely to enjoy your food, feel satisfied at the end of your meal and eat less.
The fourth rule,in case the first three aren’t enough- FASTING!!
It’s the oldest dietary intervention known to humans,its natural cleansing power has been harnessed by virtually all religions in the world,it’s free ,and it can be done anywhere.
Fasting, the voluntary abstinence from from food,has been known to cure diabetes for close to 100 years. For type 2 diabetes,its seems self-evident that if you don’t eat your glucose levels will drop and you will lose weight.As you lose weight,you type 2 diabetes will reverse.
Exercise- Resistance training and aerobic training – can have a beneficial effect on type 2 diabetes,but it is far less powerful at reversing the disease than Dietary interventions. And FASTING is the simplest and surest method to force your body to burn sugar.
There is difference between intermittent fasting and continuous caloric reduction.The portion control strategy of constant caloric reduction is the most common dietary approach recommended. Does it work?
But why doesn’t it work? Because restricting calories causes a compensatory increase in hunger and decrease in the body’s metabolic rate. This effect derails weight loss efforts and ultimately ends in failure. The secret to long term weight loss is to maintain your basal metabolism.
Intermittent fasting succeeds because it produces beneficial hormonal changes,keeps basal metabolism high and most importantly reduces insulin and insulin resistance. Fasting is four times better at preserving lean mass!
During fasting,the body opens up its ample supply of stored food- body fat! Basal metabolism stays high,and instead of using food as our fuel,we use food our bodies have stored as body fat. During fasting ,we burn glycogen stored in the liver. When that is finished,we use body fat. To burn off sugar ,a popular strategy is to fast for 24 hrs ,two to three times per week. Another popular approach is to fast for 16 hours ,five to six times per week.
Both fasting and LCHF(low carbohydrates ,healthy fat) diets effectively reduce insulin,and thus can cause weight loss and reverse type 2 diabetes.
How long it takes to reverse the disease depends on the intensity of the fasting regimen and the length of time you’ve had the disease.
IF YOU ARE TAKING MEDICATIONS,THEN YOU MUST SPEAK WITH YOUR PHYSICIAN BEFORE STARTING A FAST. Carefully monitoring and adjusting your medications is essential.
Adjusting to a fast can take a bit of time. It’s not unusual to get hunger pains or headaches or even to experience muscle cramps or skin irritations. This side effects are often signs that the body is dumping its toxic sugar load.
If losing weight was the key to reversing diabetes,how could medications like insulin,which causes weight gain,be beneficial?
The secret to reversing type 2 diabetes now lies within our grasp. All it requires is having an open mind to accept a new paradigm and the courage to challenge conventional wisdom.
Be the author of your own health.