शरीरेन्द्रिय सत्वात्मा संयोगो। – चरक संहिता
In Ayurveda, perfect health is defined as “a balance between body, mind, spirit, and social wellbeing.”Health is the greatest wealth,but how do we know we are healthy? According to ayurveda,here are the 9 signs of good health. Find out how much you score?
देहे सर्वत्र चौस्नस्य समता लाघवं सुखं|
शुत तीक्ष्ण गद निद्रा च अन्सॉपिप्रसन्ता|
शरीरे खर्मसमर्थ्यम्अ नालस्य च कर्मसु|
स्वत स्वेदो गं कलले स्वास्थ्य लक्षन्ति हि ||
- सरीर में सर्वत्र एक सामान गर्माहट का अनुभव।
- हल्कापन का अनुभव।
- सुखानुभव ।
- दिन मे दो बार भूख की अनुभूति होना ।
- गहरी नींद ।
- मन की प्रसन्ता ।
- शरीर के आन्तरिक अंगो की कार्यकुशलता सर्वदा रहना यानी शरीर में होने वाली ज्ञानेन्द्रियो तथा कामेन्द्रियों द्वारा उपयुक्त कार्यो को करते रहने की कार्यछमता ।
- दुनिया के कार्य करने मे उत्साह सहित रहने की मनोभावना।
- समय से सरीर विविध निष्कासक अंगो द्वारा पसीना ,मल,मूत्र आदि का सुखमय विसर्जन।
- Energy and heat balance.
- No excess weight.
- Experiencing positive thoughts and happpiness.
- Strong sense of hunger.
- Deep sleep.
- Feeling energetic throughout the day.
- No pain in the body.
- Clear skin.
- Timely,regular and normal bowel movements.
- Timely,regular and normal bowel :
Ayurveda views elimination as an important indicator of overall health because healthy elimination generally indicates to strong agni (digestive fire), which is one of the cornerstones of well-being and longevity.Ayurveda recognizes that the digestive tract is the very first place where imbalances arise in the body.
According to Ayurveda, healthy elimination occurs one to two times daily. In a perfect world, the first bowel movement of the day occurs within a few minutes of waking, ideally with sunrise. If there is a second bowel movement later in the day, it often occurs after a meal, in the afternoon or evening.
Tips for healthy bowel movement:
- Drink sufficient water.
- Add fiber slowly.
- Eat fruits,nuts,vegetables and whole foods.
- Cut out irritating foods such as cold beverages, alcohol, soda, caffeinated drink,fatty foods, too much spicy foods,sugar…..
- Take Trifla powder.
- Move more.
- Use Indian toilet or squat properly while passing stool.
- Have your meal before sunset.
- Have a good sleep.
2. No excess weight:
According to Ayurveda, if there is an imbalance in digestive fire (Agni) and toxins (Ama) it disturbs the metabolism of fatty tissue and hence ,we gain unhealthy weight. If digestion is proper and waste of the body is going out time to time then the body will be perfectly in size and shape.
Tips for healthy weight:
- Practice mindfulness while you eat.
- Eat your largest meal during the day, not at night.
- Eat high fibre food.
- Have adequate amout of plant based protein.
- Stay away from junk foods.
- Start your day with warm lemon water or apple cider vineger.
- Drink 3- 4 cups of warm water through out the day, especially after the meal.
- Take Trifla powder .
- Excercise atleast 30-40 mins a day.
- Sleep well.
3. Clear skin:
Skin is the great indicator of what is happening in your body.It reveals about your health. Pimples, dark circles,pigmentation,acne ,bad smell … are the signs of imbalances in your body.Your skin is a lot more than just a sense organ. It is the largest organ of your body that prevents dehydration by holding your body fluids, regulates your body temperature, and acts as the first line of defense against microbial invasions.
A healthy skin indicates a stronger immune system .
Tips for healthy skin:
- Right diet rich in antioxidants.
- Regular hydration.
- Adequate sleep.
- Regular exercises.
- Limited sun exposure.
- Suana bath.
- Abhyanga(oil massage).
4. Strong sense of hunger:
Don’t eat until and unless you are hungry. Food is basic necessity of life. Everybody knows this,but few have only idea of what to eat,when to eat and how to eat?
What to eat? Eat that have nutritional value and are beneficial for health.
When to eat? Eat twice a day at the most and that also when your appetite has built up sufficiently. Avoid strong craving to eat at the sight of others eating, urge to eat during the moment of tension, eating because it’s time to eat…..
How to eat? Food contain information that speaks to your genes,not just a calorie or energy. It “talks” to your DNA ,switching on and off genes that leads to health or disease. So, its very important to take food in a quiet and restful manner with humble remembrance of god as his prasada. The right food taken in the right manner is the key to sound health.
The Ayurveda has a intresting and intructive story. Once it occured to Maharishi Charaka,the great pioneer of Ayurveda,that he should test whether his pupils understood correctly his teachings.He metamorphosed into a pigeon and sat on a tree, through under which many vaidyas (healers) were passing by. The pigeon called out: ko ruk ,ko ruk,ko ruk? (Who is healthy,who is healthy,who is healthy?) The vaidyas paid no heed to pigeon’s words. The Maharishi thought that either they did not comprehend what the tiny bird was saying ,or they were ignoring him. He flew from there and chose another tree. Incidentally,the great scholar Vagbhatta was passing that way. He heard the query of Maharishi and replied repeatedly thrice: “Hitbhuk, hitbhukh,hitbhukh”,i.e healthy is one who eats the right type of food. Charka-turned pigeon asked again, ko ruk ,ko ruk,ko ruk? Vagbhatta answered:”Mitbhukh,mitbhukh,mitbhukh”,i.e healthy is one who eats food in moderation. Charka- turned pigeon asked again, Ko ruk,ko ruk, ko ruk? Vagbhatta response this time was”Ritbhuk, ritbhuk,ritbhuk” , i.e one who eats according to season and what he has earned through righteous means. The bird flew away satisfied ,as his question had been answered correctly.
5. Deep sleep:
Slow wave sleep, also called deep sleep, is an important stage in the sleep cycle that enables proper brain function and memory. More than quantity, quality matters. Deep sleep plays an important role for your hormones to function.It is necessary for energy restoration, cell growth, cell repair,increasing blood supply to muscles,strengthening the immune system….
Glucose metabolism in the brain increases during deep sleep, supporting short-term and long-term memory and overall learning.
Tips for deep sleep:
- Sleep in well-ventilated room.
- Don’t eat late in the evening. Eat light food.
- Set up healthy bed time routine.
- Dim your lights after 7.00 pm.
- Increase sunlight exposure during daytime.
- Reduce blue light exposure in evening.
- Don’t consume caffeine late in the day.
- Reduce long day time sleep. Nap is ok.
- Take a relaxing shower before bed.
- Set your bedroom temperature.
- For better sleep take magnesium citrate before bed.
- Use lavender oil for good sleep.
- Don’t drink alcohol.
6. Feeling energetic throughout the day:
According to Ayurveda, healthy people have abundant ojas, the vital essence that promotes health, immunity, happiness and spiritual strength.Think of ojas as the container that holds your abundant energy. It is the ultimate energy reserve of the body and mind.Ojas is created by the body through the proper digestion of food. It is the foundation of youth.
Mother nature has given us so much of energy that from morning to evening we can go on and on, without any caffeine or getting tired, with a healthy lifestyle.
Tips for healthy ojas:
- Nourish the body with healthy prana rich foods.
- Balanced agni is crucial, because it is only with a healthy and balanced digestive capacity that we are able to transform the nutrients from the foods we eat into the subtle essence of ojas.
- Practice breathing.
- Exercise early in the morning to stimulate neurotransmittors and for healthy blood circulations.
- Get moving.
- Let the sunshine in.
7. No pain in body:
Pain is not a good sign of a good health.If we are in pain, it usually means something bad is happening to our bodies. Pain is nature’s signal to tell us, “Pay attention. Your body is being damaged. You need to make an adjustment in your current lifestyle to heal this damage and prevent it from happening again.”
8. Experiencing positive thoughts and happpiness:
When your prana energy is balanced between yin and yang and is flowing smoothly this leads to good physical, emotional and spiritual health. Having the right balance of these energy gives us plenty of energy,deeper sleep,positive thoughts,happiness…..
9.Energy and heat balance:
The body tightly regulates the body temperature through a process called thermoregulation, in which the body can maintain its temperature within certain boundaries, even when the surrounding temperature is very different. When the energy and heat of your body is balanced, the blood circulation is healthy. Good blood circulation system is vital to your health. Poor blood circulation leads to poor health.